Sunday, February 17, 2008

ROAD TRIIIIIIIIP!!!

On Dec. 27, we headed out on a road trip to Thailand. I know that these are typical road trip pictures, but they were so cute that I had to add them. This is about 3 hours into our 7 1/2 hour drive. Do you notice that it looks like Jodi should be driving, but really it's Craig driving (you can see the glove compartment in front of Jode). Also, if you look closely, you can see that the other side of the freeway is on our right, not our left as it would normally be in Canada.

This is what we saw when we got to the Thailand border. Looks like chaos and it kind of is, but everyone has to get out of their vehicles and walk across. It was quite hot, so we hoped we wouldn't have to wait too long. While we waited we watched the monkeys climbing the rafters above us.

A couple of the monkeys starting doing something nasty (ok, it's nature and beautiful?) and I said something like, "Oh, oh. Those monkeys are fighting, " to which Jackson replied, "No, he's just giving her a back rub." Out of the mouths of children, hey? :)

It only took us about 30 minutes to cross through the line up, which I was really surprised at.

Then we had to wait for Craig to go through a different line to get the papers filled out to get the car across and we were on our way again.

We needed to get to the town of Krabi to catch a ferry over to Phi Phi Island (unfortunately, pronounced Pee Pee). You can imagine how a 7 year old boy is when you talk about going from Crappy (Krabi) to Pee Pee. Good times. :)

One of Thailand's ways to make a living is by "growing" rubber. There are rubber trees that grow and when you pull away the bark, there's this sticky substance that can be used to make rubber, like the rubber in latex gloves. This is rubber in the back of this truck, so I like to call it my "where the rubber hits the road" picture. Ok, collective groan. (on a side note, does anyone know how to blur out the license plate on this picture?)
Here we are patiently waiting for our ride to the ferry. Do you notice that these girls are wearing jeans? JEANS, PEOPLE! It's hooooooooot outside. At least they have flip flops on unlike their mother who wears socks and shoes a lot of the time. :) Ha ha, I'm just bugging them. I can't even imagine living there long enough to get used to the heat that much. I had a sweat going on pretty much all of the time, but I loved it.

Finally our ride came to pick us up and take us to the ferry. Yes, Craig is hanging off the back fo the truck. They will fill a vehicle until it's overflowing. Just when you think, "oh shoot. sorry, no more room" they will find some.

Walking the line to the ferry. I had no idea what to expect, but since I had been to Phuket before (just north of Phi Phi Island) and it was beautiful, I was pretty excited to get there.

As I mentioned at the beginning, we were travelling on Dec. 27. One day after the anniversary of the tsunami. It's very hard to believe that only 3 years ago there was turmoil and tradegy going on here. Very sad.

I'll leave you with this one picture of us on the ferry waiting to set sail. What I was about to see would stun and awe me and continue to drive my thirst for travel.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys were pretty much the only caucasions there! Did it feel strange to be the minority?

Keri's Collage... said...

What an awesome post! It's so cool to read all about your vacation and check out your pictures! So fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fion,
I love reading all about the trip. IT makes me re-live it all over again which I love. So is there anyway that I can print off your entire blog of your trip cause then I don't have to scrapbook it cause you've already done it for me. seriously, let me know if I can just print it all off or something. It's great. Good times, good times.
Love ya sis, Jodi Oh ya, you can get so used to the weather you can wear socks and jeans. You get tired of weary "summer" clothes. Be thankful you can hide your excess weight under sweaters, jackets etc. Living in bathing suit summer weather has its drawbacks, not many but they are there...

Sinead said...

Great hearing and seeing how your trip to Thailand was...can not wait for this next set of pictures!!!!

Marni said...

not very fair leaving us in the lurch like that though!

Nancy Skeels said...

Fion,
So fun to hear about all your adventures ... I'll be waiting for the next installment! It looks a little like a culture shock experience, but fun at the same time.

Keri's Collage... said...

I loved the movie! It ended and I wanted to watch it again right away! You have great taste!