Wednesday, June 25, 2008

God's Love

I've debated for awhile whether or not I was going to share this, but after my last post, I listened to the second YouTube clip of Brennan's that I posted a link to and near the end of his sharing time, Brennan asks you to look into Jesus' eyes and see how He sees you. I knew I had to write about this experience I had.

At the beginning of this year, I joined a Care Group and I'm LOVING it. I've never been so comfortable with a group of people (some who I know well, some who I know somewhat and some who I've just met). It's been a wonderful time of sharing, caring and having fun.

One week we read John 8:1 - 11. This is the passage where the woman was caught in adultery and the Pharisees brought her before Jesus to condemn her. Jesus started writing in the sand and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him throw the first stone." One by one, the Pharisees all left (some people believe that Jesus started writing down their sins and exposing them). After all the condemners were gone, Jesus said to the woman, "Where are they? Has no one condemned you?" The woman said, "No one, sir." Jesus said, "Then neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more."

We were to go off on our own for 15 - 20 minutes, reread the passage and then write down what God was showing us that we condemn ourselves of doing that separates us from Him and what Jesus would write in the sand for us. I've always been a skeptic of these quiet times because I've never had a huge moment where God has revealed Himself to me. These times would always discourage me and make me think that I'm not as spiritual as everyone else. Well, I went into a quiet room and read the story and then closed my eyes. I was totally sidetracked and thinking about something completely off track and then I heard/felt/sensed (whatever you want to call it) God say to me, "Don't be scared of me." What? Am I scared of God? I didn't think so before, but I realized that being vulnerable is scary. So, I quieted my spirit and God showed me that I condemn myself of:

1) being afraid I'll screw up

2) not thinking I deserve what He wants to give me (but He told me that no one does. It's called Grace)

3) thinking I'm not as spiritual as others, so why try anyway?

I then put myself in the place of the woman and Jesus was writing in the sand. I was REALLY there! I was no longer sitting in this room in this house. I was fully standing before Jesus (my hands start sweating just thinking about it again)! So exciting! I had my eyes closed and could hear Jesus in front of me writing in the sand. When He stopped, I took a deep breath and kind of opened one eye (peeking, like) waiting to see my sins written out before me. Instead, He had written,

I LOVE YOU

I looked at Him and He winked at me. I have NEVER felt so much love as at that moment. We just continued to look at each other for awhile and then I opened my eyes. I couldn't even see for all the tears streaming down my face. I had no idea that I was crying. Man, that was a powerful moment. I NEVER want to forget that feeling. God really does love me just as I am.


Thirsty hearts are those whose longings have been wakened by the touch of God within them.
- A.W. Tozer

7 comments:

villagegirl said...

Wow, that is just so amazing. I can't say I've ever had one of those moments and I feel very much like you did before that. That is so wonderful, my heart was racing reading about it!

Kori's House said...

Villagegirl took the words out of my mouth.
WoW. What an awesome experience. I have tears running down my face and a lump in my throat.

Lovella ♥ said...

Goosebumps Fiona. What a wonderful moment! I'm so glad you wrote it for us and let us share in the joy that you are feeling.

It was wonderful to read and I'll reread it again.

Keri's Collage... said...

What a powerful experience for you. My tears were falling while reading...hard to read and cry at the same time so I read it over and over. Thank you for sharing Fiona.

Karis said...

That was powerful!!!
Thank you SO much for sharing it with us all.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome experience you had with God! I've had similar experiences and they are really life changing. Isn't God amazing?

Anonymous said...

Awesome Fion. Thanks for sharing from the most vulnerable place in your heart. I appreciate your courage in allowing us to enter into such a powerful, intimate interaction. How wonderful. Thanks Fion. I needed those truths to hit me again exactly this evening. Thanks for allowing your journey to snap me out of my funk. I love you sister. I look forward to hearing more. Jodi