Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm back!

The month of May was SO busy that it honestly overwhelmed me thinking about blogging about it. As much as I really do love blogging, for some reason it takes me a long time to complete one post (maybe if I just showed my pics and stopping blabbing so much it wouldn't take me as long). I really am sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to this, but here I am. Take me or leave me. :( Keri: thanks for your comment and for waking me up and getting me back on track. :)

On May 8, Bren, Leana and I went to Surrey to see Whose Live is it Anyway? Same as Whose LINE is it Anyways, but I guess because we're seeing them LIVE, they do the play on words thing. Do you recognize these guys?

The funny Ryan Stiles.

Ryan and Chip Eston (side note for The Office fans - Chip also played Josh on The Office - Josh was Jim's boss when he went to the Stamford branch).

Ryan and Greg Proops

Jeff Davis, Chip, Greg and Ryan. It was a hilarious night. They sang, danced and came up with the funniest things off the tops of their heads. I'm sure they must have reused some jokes that could be used over and over, but a lot of the stuff they have to act out are ideas shouted out from the audience, so unless they have ringers out in the audience (which I really don't think they do), these guys are awesome. A great night out.
Oh, and it was Leana's birthday, so it was fun to be able to celebrate with her. I can't remember the last time we saw her on her actual birthday. Miss you, Lea!

Bren, Lori and I also went and saw KT Tunstall in Vancouver in May, but I forgot to get a group picture. :( She sings, Black Horse & The Cherry Tree and Suddenly I See (if you watch So You Think You Can Dance, you'd recognize Suddenly I See from a few seasons ago - they played that song when the girls got kicked off).

Another thing I did in May was go and hear this man speak.

This is Brennan Manning. Wow. What a great speaker. He came to my hometown and Karen, Pam and I signed up right away. Probably Brennan's most famous book is The Ragamuffin Gospel. Brennan speaks about God's love and over the past couple of years, that's what I've been learning about. I know that my human brain will only be able to grasp a fraction of how much God loves me, but what I am learning is giving me such freedom. Freedom to trust, freedom to be myself, freedom from worrying ... Everywhere I look lately, someone is talking about God's love and I'm learning something new. Brennan told us that God loves us as we are, not as we should be, because we will never be as we should be. You know how you read about fearing God? Brennan explained fearing God as "silent wonder, radical amazement and affectionate awe at the infinite goodness of God." Not the cowering in the corner kind of fear that we imagine. There is no fear in love. I believe that when I actually do meet God face to face, I will drop to my knees, but not in fear, in awe. God loves us SO much that in loving me, God made me lovable. If I'm lovable and made in the image of God, why do I live in fear, anxiety, low self-esteem, self hatred, etc? The love of God is reliable and not based on my mood or what I've done.

Brennan talked about how he doesn't remember one loving interaction with his mother (can you imagine?) and then told a few stories about her, but before he told these stories, he prefaced them by saying, "I tell you these stories with no bitterness whatsoever," and I really do believe him. He has dealt with that crap and moved on. He lives in God's love so fully that he can move past stuff in his past. I want to be like that. I want to be able to let things roll off me because it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

There's so much going on my in brain that it's hard to get it all down and cohesively at that. I have no idea if what I've written will make sense to anyone else, but I found this clip of Brennan talking on YouTube and in 3 and a half minutes it kind of summarizes what he talked about when I heard him speak. Enjoy, and I'll be back soon with more coherent (hopefully) thoughts.

If you have an extra 54 minutes, here's another Brennan sermon on YouTube. This was actually the first time I ever heard Brennan speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY7c6XPagmA

8 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

What a great post! I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed!
I love 'Whose LINE is it Anyways'! Looks like seeing them live would be a blast!
You are one busy gal for sure!

I need a good book...maybe I will just pick up 'TheRagamuffin Gospel' since it sounds like something I need to read!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back to blogging! You've sure been busy. I love 'Whose Line' too. I can just imagine how funny it must have been.

Fiona said...

Keri - you should totally read Ragamuffin Gospel. When I read your answer to #16 on the questionnaire email, I thought that right away. Grasping how much God loves me has seriously helped me love myself more.

Sonya - now knowing you, I KNOW you would've been howling along with me at those "Whose Line" guys.

Nancy Skeels said...

Yay, Fiona's back! I heard the run went amazingly well - good job! Loved your points in this post. I remember hearing Brennan years and years ago, and he was great. Hope June feels a little more relaxed than May did.

Leana said...

That was such a great night and a fun suprise. Thanks again. I hope to be back to blogging soon myself. I will let you know. Love you friend.

Rachel said...

Glad you're back Fiona! I hope to see many more posts soon :)

villagegirl said...

I LOVED who's line is it. I was so sad when they stopped it. Brent and I would be rolling on the floor from laughing nearly every episode. Ryan Stiles is the best. Ever.

Kori's House said...

Welcome back! I've missed you. Don't do that again ok :)

I will have to listen to both clips. You have caught my attention!!