Thursday, July 17, 2008

Run For Water in pictures

On June 1, Abbotsford hosted the first Run For Water. It was a 5 km, 10 km and 1/2 marathon event that raised money for the village of Amedo in Ethiopia. Thanks to everyone who attended, ran, sponsored or just gave a donation, we raised almost $15,000.

We were told for a first time event to expect maybe 250 people to register. With about a week to go before the event, we were up to 350. By race day we were up to 700. Isn't that incredible? Wonderful advertising and word of mouth helped this event become what it was.

I personally want to thank all my friends who volunteered their time (very early in the morning) ran the race (takes a lot of training - depending on which race you did ;), donated or gave something to the event, sponsored our event or someone who ran in it, or just did some leg work for us before, during and after the event. It really couldn't have been such a success without you.
I think a lot of these pictures speak for themselves.




Not only did we have the race going on, but we had kids games galore, face painting and Greg Neufeld even came and sang for us.

This is the team of board members who put many hours into planning this event. From left to right:
Rob, Dave, Don, Kelly, Ken (it was his brainchild), me, Peg, Harj, Darren and Stan.

Soon afterwards we had a party to thank those who sponsored us ... yes, that's a roasting pig.

It was a wonderful event and I am truly honored to have been a part of it. I haven't decided yet if I'll be on the board next year, but if I'm not on the board I will either be volunteering or running in it. I hope to see you all there next year!!!

2 comments:

Karis said...

i'm scared of my brothers long hair and beard.....

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very successful event! And that roasting pig? Yum!!