Monday, June 01, 2009

Inspirations

This weekend I have had 2 major inspirations. One is by a girl I went to High School with who is dying of cancer. Her name is Rachel Barkey and I'm sure a lot of you know her. This video of her speaking is from March 2009 and she was only given a few months to live. If you have an hour to listen, I really encourage you to do so.

http://deathisnotdying.com/fullvideo/

She has encouraged me to not be so selfish and to remember my purpose. I have been put on this earth to please God. I'm going to seek ways to do that this week.

The other thing that inspired me this weekend was a movie called Running the Sahara. Here's the preview for the movie.





This movie is about 3 guys who run across the Sahara desert. For me, this was not an inspiration about running (although I do want to go for a run tonight). It was more an inspiration that if you truly set your mind to something, you can do it. It has also inspired me to go to Africa. I've always wanted to go, but I'm really going to try to make that happen. In what capacity will I go? I don't know yet. I just hope to get there.


This weekend I got to meet Ray Zahab, one of the guys who ran across the Sahara. He is an awesome guy. 8 years ago he was a pack a day smoker and says he "kept Guinness in business." One New Year's Eve, he and his brother said they needed to start a new life and he took it to the extreme. He's only been running for 5 years (at the time he ran the Sahara he'd only been running for 2 1/2 years) and has also run across the Antarctic and has many races planned to education kids about other cultures and the water crisis around the world. If you see this movie somewhere or want to buy it online, I encourage you to do so.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched Rachel's video a couple of weeks ago and it really stuck with me. Powerful, powerful message.

Joy said...

Hey Fiona!
It's been a while. Glad to see you back to blogging! I watched the documentary, Running The Sahara, a few months ago and loved it! What an inspirational story! So awesome that you met Ray Zahab!

Anonymous said...

I've missed your blog Fion. I love seeing and hearing about your life. I will look at Rachel's talk soon. Wow. Love you girl. Nice to see the blog up and running again. Cool that you could meet that running sahara dude. Very inspirational. talk soon sister, Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hey Fion,
I watched Rachel's video. wow. powerful amazing. Thanks so much for leading me to it. I really appreciate it. I am blessed and uplifted by her story and testimony. Jodi