Monday, March 05, 2012

Bossypants

Unless you live under a rock (make that 30 Rock - hardy har har), you will most likely have heard of Tina Fey. Funny, funny lady. I first grew to love her when she did Weekend Update with Jimmy Falon on SNL. Their chemistry was SO hilarious together! I was actually quite sad when she left SNL. I've watched a few episodes of 30 Rock and they are definitely funny, but I've got so many other shows that I watch, I haven't yet put it into full repitoire in my TV schedule. I know ... I'm lame. When she came back to SNL to parody Sarah Palin, she was an instant hit. No matter your thoughts on Sarah Palin, love her or hate her, Tina nailed it!

When I heard about Bossypants, all I heard was how funny it is ... so naturally, when I needed a break after all the trauma/drama of The Hunger Games, I picked it up. Here are a few of my favorite parts:

The 70s were a small-eyed, thin-lipped blond woman's paradise. I remember watching Three's Company as a little brown-haired kid thinking, "Really? This is what we get? Joyce DeWitt is our brunet representative? She's got that greasy-looking bowl cut and they make her wear suntan pantyhose under her football jersey nightshirt." I may have only been seven or eight, but I knew that this sucked ... (in the middle here she goes on a long, funny rant about being different and in the end how that's a good thing) ... And if I ever meet Joyce DeWitt, I will first apologize to her for having immediately punched her in the face, and then I will thank her. For while she looked like a Liza Minnelli doll that had been damaged in a fire, at least she didn't look like everybody else on TV.

Ah, babies! They're more than just adorable little creatures on whom you can blame your farts.

When people say, "You really, really must" do something, it means you don't really have to. No one ever says, "You really, really must deliver the baby during labour." When it's true, it doesn't need to be said. (this came about after a funny part about women who tell you that you must breast feed)

And then her prayer for her daughter is quite hilarious ... but too long to put all here, so click HERE and you can read it. Now that I'm skimming back through the book, there are so many parts I'd like for you to read, but to just pick a couple of lines doesn't do the whole chapter justice, so I'd recommend you do what I do and go to your local library and pick it up.

For some reason I'm on a biography kick right now. I'm currently reading Janet Jackson's True You, my library just emailed me to let me know that Kris Jenner's and All Things Kardashian is in (don't judge me) and I've still got Ellen DeGeneres' Seriously, I'm Kidding on my hold list (I'm #97 on the hold list, so I'm sure I'll get to read that one sometime in 2015) and next I'm going to ask for Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends. With all the old 80s clothes coming back in style (which I'm having a hard time with) and starting to celebrate my friends 40th birthdays while reminiscing about old times and dancing to 80s music, I'm reminded of The Outsiders and how all those cute boys were "nobody's" back then and I want to read about what Rob's got to say about that era ... which is probably also why I'm reading Janet Jackson's book right now. Her albums Control and Rhythm Nation were playing constantly on my tape deck in the 80s. Aaaaahhhh, good times.

Anyway, all that to say, go pick up Tina Fey's Bossypants. You won't regret it.

No comments: