Sunday, April 22, 2007

Reliant K ... ever heard of them?

Last week I won tickets to go see Reliant K.

I've heard of them, but can't say I know any of their music. Why did I enter to win tickets then, you may ask. Well, I see a box with an entry form and my hand is drawn to it like one of those sticks trying to find water. I've been bugged in the past because I win things so often, but if you knew how many things I enter and DON'T win, you'd know I really only win about 2% of the time. Also, you can't win if you don't enter, so ...

Anyways, off Bren and I went to the concert last week. We mostly went because the concert was at the Croatian Cultural Centre and we'd always wondered what kind of a venue it was for concerts. Well, we walked in and immediately felt like we were at a High School dance for a few reasons. 1) it looked pretty much like a gym or a hall and there were no seats, 2) everyone was running in and out to the bathroom to primp and preen and take a look at themselves and whisper about who knows what and 3) the place was FILLED with 11 - 17 year olds. It was quite funny. We sat out in the lobby for the two opening bands and watched the teens and pretty much thanked God that we're past that age. Before the second opening band finished, we figured we'd go outside for a few minutes. As we headed towards the door, this little security guard who was half my size came up to us and put her hands up and said something to us. I thought I heard her say, "No ins and outs," but it was quite loud in there so we both said, "Pardon me?" to which she in fact did say, "No ins and outs." Bren and I just looked at each other and started laughing. I've never been trapped inside a concert before. Usually they'll stamp your hand so that you can go in and out, but she looked at us with this serious face and I couldn't help but laugh. I know it's mean, but I could seriously have taken this lady out. I felt like a teenager again and I rolled my eyes and said, "Seriously?" As we were standing there in awe, this male security guard runs up and says, "No, no. It's ok. Parents are aloud in and out."

I'll let you take a minute to stop laughing. Now, Bren and I ourselves are not parents and there's nothing wrong with being called a parent, but it just goes to show what the average age was at the concert and the only reason someone our age would be there was because you were a parent bringing your kid. Too funny. We just looked at him and said, "Thank you," and off we went. It didn't even cross our minds to tell him we weren't parents. It was just our way out, so we used it.

We did come back when Reliant K played and they were good, but again, we didn't know any of their songs. Here they are:

Their sign looked a little rinky-dink and like it was made out of cardboard or something, but it was a fun night. Ok, good for a laugh is what it was. Since we didn't know any of their music, we only stayed for about half an hour and then we hit the road. It was a Tuesday night so I didn't want to be home later than 10 pm ... again, my age showing through ... can't keep up with those young'uns. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so hilarious! One of the teens from my youth group gave me a cd that had some Relient K songs on it. Let's just say I only listened to it once. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Fiona,

I love Reliant K. They were at Creation when I went this past year. I guess I am a teeny bopper at heart:)

That's hilarious about the parent thing though. I think I would have rolled my eyes as well.

Taraleigh

carmen said...

I'm sorry Fiona, but I was laughing out loud about the parent thing, how funny is that!

Fiona said...

Don't be sorry. We were laughting too and I've told that story many times already. It was quite funny.