Sunday, February 14, 2010

Olympic fever - Day 1

Last Sunday the torch came through Abbotsford and it was SUPER exciting! We went down to the spot where my friend, Mary Jane, was running and waited for her to come by.

We were right at the point where she would pass the torch, so about 15 minutes before she came through, they dropped off the guy who she was going to pass it to. He was like a rock star. People crowded around him immediately asking him questions and taking pictures. I don't think the grin ever left his face. I heard him say that he was "super excited and very nervous." So fun!

THE TORCH!!! Well, one of many. :) Apparently you could pay to keep the one you ran with. I think I heard it was $300. I would've bought it for sure.

Here she comes!!!

Way to go, Mary Jane. We were all super proud of her and for her. We all got a little teary eyed as well.



After the torch left our area, we went into the local recreation centre where the Japanese speedskaters had been practicing earlier in the week and now the Russian figure skaters were practicing. Very cool to see them up close.

What an exciting day!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is super cool that you actually knew someone who was running with the torch. And for the record, I would pay to keep the torch too!

villagegirl said...

One of our neighbours ran the torch and she bought hers too. I thought she said $400. I would have bought it too. It's not like you can go to the corner store and pick one up!
I'd say you're right on the money with 'fever' - the whole towns got it! Yay!