Monday, February 01, 2010

Reading ROCKS!!!

I was just going through some of my old posts and realized that I started this post but never finished it. I had found this quote and didn't write down who said it, but it's exactly how I feel about reading, so although I can't credit the correct person for saying it, I wanted to be honest and not take the credit myself:

When I was growing up, I was a voracious reader; I loved sitting in my house and jumping into new worlds. But more important, I loved meeting new people. Reading was a way to make friends or enemies, a way to discover how all these different people exist in the world and to rub shoulders with them. The ability to feel as if you've met someone, as if that person exists in flesh and blood and that you relate to them somehow, makes you feel a lot less lonely. And it also makes you feel very brave. When you read stories about triumph and about struggle and people coming to terms with how scary life is, you begin to think, "What could I take? What could I do? What would I do in that moment?"
I've always loved reading as well. I remember when I was about 9 years old, my friend, Susie, and I would each have 10 books on the go. I would read a chapter from one book and then put it to the bottom of the pile and then she would read a chapter from her book. We had TWENTY books on the go at the same time! How did we ever keep all the stories straight? Crazy. Now I try to only have one fiction book and one self-help type book on the go at the same time, but I do still love reading ... which is a good thing as you'll see in a couple of weeks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading too! But I'm only able to tackle one book at a time. Reading is the only thing I can't multi-task.

Rachel said...

Me too!!! I watch very little TV because I really prefer to get lost in a good book.

villagegirl said...

I love it too. Can't get enough. i'm with Rachel...I'd rather read than watch tv. I always feel a little lost when I don't have a book going. I think B thinks I'm a nerd. hee hee

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

Nerds rock :)