Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Final Olympic days :(

On our last weekend of the Olympics, we went downtown both days. On Saturday we did a lot of walking and standing in lines. As we walked through Yale.town to get to the Socc.i House, there were people stopped at any store that had a TV in the window watching many different athletes win medals. It was a very fun atmosphere on the streets.

Looking across False Creek at Olympic Village. Remember seeing this flag on the news and in the newspapers?
Hmmm, I wonder which athletes were in those condos in the middle? ;)

All the many flags from around the world represented at the games. Very cool.

As you walked around the seawall towards what we know as Scien.ce World (which was transformed into the Soc.ci House - the Russian town where the next Olympics will be held), everyone was creating their own Inukshuk.


How many ways to you know how to say Welcome?

The flame isn't even snuffed out in Vancou.ver and the countdown begins to the next Olympics already.

Here's Ellen and I outside the "Socci House." This was the only day that I went downtown and it was a little rainy and chilly. I decided to make Ellen a rain slicker to keep dry. This picture of her and I also made it on her website.

I think she appreciated it.

Now, I'll admit that when our mascots first were announced, I didn't think too much of them, but over time, they grew on me. Wanna have your first look at the Soc.ci mascot? Hmmm, not too sure about this one. I think it makes our mascots look pretty cool.
Here's Ellen getting her last picture with BC Pl.ace (where the Opening and Closing ceremonies took place) and Canada Hockey House (or as we BC'ers like to call it, G.M Place) in the background. This is the 3rd and final picture that made it on her website. It was fun hanging out with you, Ellen. Until our next adventure ...

Outside the Molse.n Hockey House - it cost $100 to get in here and I don't think that included any food or drinks. You just got to possibly hobnob with some celebrities/hockey players.

I think this is supposed to be Luon.go.

The next day was the final day of the Olympics and we headed down early to get a spot at a nice restaurant in Yale.town, however, a few other people had the same idea. We split up and waited outside 3 fairly well known restaurants, but were turned away from all 3 of them. We happened to luck out and found a table for 3 in a quaint little place where we were instantly friends with everyone in the restaurant.
Elation and much cheering when the score was 1 - 0.
More excitement as Canada gets another goal!

A little more tense ...

Yes, Karen. I know how you feel. It was definitely hard to watch at times.
At this point I put my camera away because it was just too stressful. With 30 seconds left I remember thinking to myself, "Only 30 seconds and we can celebrate and all this stress will be over." No, that was not to be. With 24 seconds left, the US scored and tied the game. It was literally like the air was sucked out of the room. Everyone was deflated, scared and nervous.
Then, the good and honourable 22 year old, Sid.ney Cr.osby scored the winning goal to give Canada the gold medal! We were high fiving and hugging strangers. It was like we were all best friends and would be bonded for life. What an amazing (albeit stressful and scary) game.

I know this little guy was happy ... I have no idea who he is, but he was cute so he deserved a picture.

Call me a nerd for taking pictures of the TV, but I had to capture Sidney getting hid medal.

And how about that moment when our flag was raised. SOOOO much pride!

I know this is a terrible picture of the team, but I just had to put it in and say, "Way to go, boys!!!"

Then we filed out onto the street to celebrate with even more "friends."

I don't know if you saw the corner of Rob.son and Gran.ville on TV, but I was in the middle of it.

Lots of "whoo hooing" and "Oh Canada" being sung and air horns and cow bell.







And that, ladies and gentleman (if there are any gentleman who read my blog) was my experience at the 2010 Olymp.ics. It was SO much fun and it was sad to see them go. I have never been so proud to be Canadian. I think Vanc.ouver did an excellent job.


Socc.i in 2014, anyone? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cool that you got to be right in the middle of the action when we won the gold in hockey.