Monday, April 12, 2010

Happy 50th Anniversary!!!

On March 18 my parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. I'm SO proud of them. The older I get, the more I realize how much hard work goes into a marriage. Yes, they've had difficult times, but they've also had great times and they managed to stay together and that deserves to be celebrated! Way to go, Mom & Dad. I love you lots!




Here's the poem I wrote for them:

What can I say
About 50 looooong years
There have been many good times
And yes, a few tears

It started at a roller rink
Out with some friends
Laughing and skating
But do you know how that night ends?

When they went to go home
Into the back seat they did climb
But when it came my Mom’s turn
Dad had thought ahead of time

“I’ll let the other girls get in first
But when Hilda goes to get in
I’ll throw the seat back
And let out a grin

She’ll have to sit right next to me
And we can talk all the way back to the farm
Oh, I do hope she likes me
And appreciates my charm”

Well, it obviously worked
And in South Abby church they did wed
They had 2 years of freedom
Before in moved a baby’s bed

Carolyn was the first
And Donnie was soon after
Their house was quickly filled
With the sound of children’s laughter

We stop to give pause
To the brother I never met
He is always in our hearts
We will never forget

Jodi came next
And I was the last
With my fiery red headed spirit
I was bound to be a blast!

We all had to adapt
Because we moved MANY times
I believe the count is at 22 in their 50 years
Now that’s gotta be a crime

But they like it, I’m not complaining
It’s obviously their decision
As long as my Dad gets to take
His big screen television

From BC to Manitoba
Then back to BC we did go
Now they’ve moved on to Alberta
Although for the Canucks Dad’s heart does still glow

I enjoyed our time in Manitoba
Living on all that land
Except during chore time
When I had to lend a hand

We had pigs to feed and grain to get in
And the cows needed hay
But it really was a great life
At the end of the day

I even got to attend
The same elementary school as my Dad
Not many kids can say that
And for that, I am glad

When we moved back to BC
Dad took up again in construction and Mom at the church
But Mom was only part time
So us girls were never in the lurch

She was always home to greet us
And to prepare a great meal
I know I didn’t fully appreciate it
But it really is a big deal

And Dad always worked so hard
To provide for his brood
To make us all happy
And never come unglued

We took many vacations
With the 5th wheel trailer we did go
Yellowstone, Disneyland and 100 mile house
Were all a stones throw

When you could pack up your trailer
And head down the road
With your kids and your dog
It was never a heavy load

In more recent years my parents have ventured
A little farther on the globe
New Zealand, Malaysia, the Panama Canal
Are new places they did probe

There are too many memories
To recall in this short rhyme
But I want them to know
As my parents, they are sublime

We honour them today
On this 50th year
So please raise your glasses
As we give them a cheer

5 comments:

villagegirl said...

Great poem!
Congratulations to them! I agree. It's a fantastic thing to celebrate these big anniversaries. It was how life was meant to be.

Keri's Collage... said...

Good job on the poem! I got a little teary :)

50 years is a LOT of years! Congratulations to the smiling couple!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic poem!

Congratulations to your parents. 50 years is an amazing milestone!

Nancy Skeels said...

Love it! You are so amazing, Fiona. You're lucky to have such great role models, and they're lucky to have you. Happy 50th!

Kori's House said...

Wow! Congratulations on 50 years!!
Great Poem Fiona. Loved learning a about your family history. I see were your blog title really comes from :)