Saturday, January 15, 2011

2010 Year in Review

I'm sure that most of you who read my blog already got my poem via email or Face.book, but I wanted to put it up here for posterity's sake. Plus, this way I can add a few pics:

At first, looking back
I thought, “Was 2010 boring?
Why don’t I remember much?
Did I do any exploring?”

My memory sure ain’t what it used to be
For exploring, I certainly did
No, I didn’t meet any celebrities this year
Nor did I travel to Madrid

But the Olympics came to town
And there was much fun to be had
The city was buzzing with excitement
In red and white, everyone was clad


It was sad when it was over
Life seemed a bit dull
Then in March my parents came to visit
And that ended the lull

First, we celebrated
50 years they’ve been together
They deserve to be congratulated
For making it through all kinds of weather


Then began the hunt
36 condos we did see
When I finally found THE ONE
I shouted out with glee!

Yes, I’m now a homeowner
No more living out of a suitcase
I’ve got a place to call home
I own 910 square feet of space

Thanks to Mom & Dad for helping me shop
It was a whirlwind process
Now I’m actually settled
I finally have my own address

In April I also became a Big Sister
It was time to give back
In the excitement and drama department
It definitely doesn’t lack

We’ve gone to Cirque du Soleil, seen many a movie
And strapped on some skates
We took cooking classes and trips to the library
What brought us together was more than just fate

I thought the summer would be bleak
No money to go travelling
But God had another plan
That He started unravelling

Friends needed another chaperone
To go to Montreal
All expenses paid
And man, we had a ball!


That city is like no other
It’s absolutely breathtaking
Of the bond our group made
There is no mistaking

The rest of the summer was great
Went to the wedding of a long time friend
And then the Michael Buble concert
Brought it to the perfect end



The fall brought my 20 year reunion
At which I had a blast
How can I already be 38?
It all went by so fast!

Saw Steve Nash play in October
That helped me relive my youth
Remembering being a top athlete
It’s ok that it’s no longer my truth (really, it’s ok! J)

2010 I started out with bright, red hair
But ended up back as a blonde
I like to keep it fresh and new
With a wave of my hairdresser’s wand



It’s just hair after all
Not something that has meaning
Like my amazing Father’s love for me
New things I have been gleaning

Like Living Beyond Yourself
The new study that I’m doing
Is teaching me it’s not all about me
Transformations I am viewing
Striving to be who God knows I can be
Easy, it is not
But knowing that His unconditional love
Is something that I’ve got

Makes everything manageable
‘Cause look what He’s done for us
Christmas is a testament
It’s why there’s all this fuss
It’s not really about Santa
Or what great gift was under the tree
He gave you the greatest gift of all
And it’s absolutely free
So as I look back on this year
I see that I am truly blessed
I know my path is in the most capable Hands
I vow to not be stressed

I pray that you are all doing well
And that you’re excited for a new year
Remember that if you’re reading this poem
In my heart, you are very dear.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I loved re-reading your poem as the pictures gave it a whole other dimension!