Saturday, August 18, 2007

Whidbey Island ... Part 1

Back in March, Bren and I went to my friend Tiffany's in-law's cabin/cottage on Whidbey Island for the first time and it was awesome. We got to go back over the August long weekend, and this time we took a few more friends. Colleen took her own vehicle because she could only stay one night, so I drove down with her. Last time we went, it took Bren and I about 2 hours to get there. This time ... not so lucky. Colleen and I got to the US border at 12:30 pm on a Thursday afternoon, crossed the border at 1:30, drove down the I-5 to the Everett exit (approximately 3:00), past Boeing (very cool, by the way) and proceeded to sit in line at the Whidbey Island ferry terminal ... and wait, and wait and wait. See picture below.


Here we are finally on the ferry (about 4:45). We were enjoying that it was sunny, but not enjoying that our day had been spent travelling. Colleen had to leave the next day, so we wanted to get a bit of suntanning in. We made a quick stop at the local grocery store and by the time we got to the cabin, it was 5:30! It took us 5 hours to get there. I know that long weekends can be crazy, but I didn't think it would start on a Thursday already. What do I know?

We quickly headed down to the beach for a bit of a stroll before the other girls joined us for supper (they stopped at the outlets). If you want to see what the cabin/cottage looks like, please click here. I didn't take any pictures of it this time as I already had pics from my last trip. But I finally found my black and white setting on my camera, so you'll have to indulge me. :)


Isn't this the cutest picture of Colleen strolling on the beach? I just love it. She's beautiful inside and out and I'm SO glad she could join us ... if only for one night.

This was a house on the beach not too far from our place. Not too shabby, hey?

I took this picture because you could see Mount Rainier in the background ... don't know if you can see it all too well through the smog. :(

The sunsets are AMAZING!

Natasha, Carmen and Bren joined us and made us a wonderful steak dinner. Mmm, mmm, mmmmmmm. Not a bad place to eat all our meals.

We then retired inside the cabin so that I could partake of the yummy lemon poppy seed cake Colleen made for my birthday and so that I could open all my presents! Who doesn't love eating dessert and opening presents? I didn't put up too much of a fight. With my birthday being on a long weekend in the summer, it's hard to find any friends that aren't on holidays (completely understandable), so this was a nice surprise to be together with great friends on my actual birthday. And boy did I get some goooooood loot!

Top left: Bren got me a mug from Harrods (yes, the department store in London ... she was just there, I don't know if you knew that :). This mug was designed by Coldplay (our second favorite band) and the money goes to a charity of their choice. Very fun and unique gift. She also got me a shirt from American Eagle that I have gotten many compliments on and have worn almost every day this week AAAAAAND a gift certificate from the outlet mall AAAAAAAND two great nail polish colors (pink and silver). Thanks Bren!

Top right: Natasha and Carmen got me a spa pedicure from Wild Orange!!! Yippeeee! Who doesn't love going to the spa? They also got me some yummy smelling lotion AAAAAND some mento's and bubble gum. :) Thanks for the soothing, calming gifts, Tosh and Carmen!

Bottom left: Karen (even though she was in Portugal) sent along these slipper/flip flops that she found for me back in March while she was in Palm Springs on Spring Break. Don't you feel special when someone sees something and thinks of you and buys it for you on the spot? I do. It means that they were listening when I talk about silly things I want/need like specific slippers ... and I appreciate that. Thanks SO much, Karen!

Bottom right: Steve gets an honourable mention on the gift giving. He got me a Rolling Stone magazine from 2005 that he took from his school library because he heard me say that I liked Orlando Bloom (who, btw, Karen and Bren saw in London this summer! Yes, up close and personal. Very fun for them.). He got me a magnet in the shape of the letter F and a card that has a picture of a regular breakfast (bacon, eggs, hash browns and orange juice) and on the inside it says, "Helloooooooo, seniors discount." Not sure how I should take that, but thanks, I think. :P

Thank you all for a wonderful birthday. I really did feel spoiled.

(On an aside, Jennie wasn't able to come on our weekend away, but when I got home she had bought me ALL of the Robert Ludlum - Bourne books. I can't WAIT to start reading ... don't worry, I know they are very different from the movies.) Thanks Jennie! Next time I hope you're able to come.

Even though we were full from supper AND lemon poppy seed cake, Colleen introduced us to another little piece of heaven ... ladies and gentlemen, introducing ...
None of us had heard of these Tim Tam's, but were willing to give them a try. They are a cookie/wafer from Australia and there's a technique needed in mastering the art of eating a Tim Tam. The wafer is a rectangle, so first, you bite off two of the adjacent corners. Then, you get yourself a hot beverage and ...

dip one end into the beverage and suck through the other end. The hot beverage will make the inside of the wafer nice and melty and then you simply eat the wafer. Wow! It was YUMMY! I know some of my readers HATE mushy or soggy things, but I'm sorry, you're missing out on this one. Tim Tam's are apparently found in the Exotic/Ethnic foods section at Save On Foods. Let me know if you try them. I have yet to go down that aisle for fear of becoming addicted.
I don't know if it was because I was the birthday girl or because I smelled, but I got a room all to myself and had a wonderful sleep. In the morning, we woke up to this ...

Gooey, sticky cinnamon buns that Colleen had set out to rise the night before and then baked in the morning. I think I gained 10 pounds just in my first 24 hours away ... but it was worth it. :)

In the morning before Colleen left, we took a group picture. From left to right: Me, Carmen, Bren, Colleen and Natasha.
To be continued ...

3 comments:

Nancy Skeels said...

Happy Birthday! Very belated ... it looks like you guys had a great time. Gorgeous spot. And, who doesn't love amazing food that you all get to share together? So fun.

Anonymous said...

What a perfect way to spend your birthday!

I've done the Tim Tam Slam. SO scrumptious...and addictive.

Anonymous said...

So glad I was able to celebrate you on your birthday again this year!!
Just a correction on the Tim Tam location. I found them in the imported biscuit section at Superstore.......although - maybe Save on Foods has them now too!!
And a side note - I actually convinced Pam Bensler to partake of the Tim Tam "slam" with me the other day!!! Can you believe she gave in????? And she quite liked them I think!