Monday, January 18, 2010

3 days - 3 movies = happy girl :)

I haven't really done any movie reviews for awhile, so I thought maybe it was time. And since I went to a movie a day this weekend, I thought I would share my thoughts.

Friday night I went and saw Ava.tar. NOT in 3D. We contemplated it, but as much as I loved the U2 movie in 3D, I did remember getting a little queasy at times and that movie wasn't near as long as Ava.tar, so we decided against it. In my opinion, the movie was definitely more impressive from a technical stand point then from the actual story side of it, but I would still recommend it. If you didn't know that aliens and the crazy creatures aren't real, you would think they WERE real. Does that make sense? It was really quite impressive and I might just try to go see it in 3D before it leaves theatres ... might.

When I first saw the previews, I had no desire to see it. Then came all the hype, so it piqued my interest. Then, at Christmas, my Dad started going on and ON about seeing these commercials with these blue people and couldn't believe that anyone would go see that. He asked my sister and I if we wanted to see it and I said that I hadn't really wanted to and my sister said that she did. He told us that if we went and saw that "garbage," he wouldn't give us another dime for the next 5 years ... we've both already seen it. :) haha He was just being silly, but it was funny after he said it that my Mom just looked at him and said, "They just won't tell you that they saw it." Well, I put it on Face.book the other day because there's NO WAY my Dad would be on Face.book, but of course that's the day he sits with my Mom at the computer and sees my status. Oh well. Apparently he just laughed.

On Saturday, my friend and I went into Vancouver to do a few errands, ended up going for supper at the Cac.tus Club and then, well, just 2 blocks up Burrard is a movie theatre. Hmmm, let's mosey on over there and see what's playing. We decided to go see The Boo.k of Eli. It's hard to describe this movie without giving anything away, so I'll just tell you that it surprised me with how violent it was (but in that "as if that could happen" kind of way so it wasn't totally disturbing), however, I thought Denzel did a great job. I was impressed that there was so much Scripture being "read" to the audience and hoped that it wouldn't fall on deaf ears. Not too thrilled with the ending, but I may have to see it again (once it comes out on DVD) as a couple of my friends picked up on something that I completely missed. Bugs me that I missed it. I would recommend it if you can look past the violence.

On Sunday I went with another friend to see Le.ap Year. Very, very cute. It was what you would expect from the commercials. Again, I would recommend it, however, am a little sad that I've never come across such a cute, Irishman in all of my travels. :( I guess I'll just have to keep travelling ... and maybe be a bit more of a damsel in distress. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had no intention of seeing Avatar either but people just won't stop talking about it and now I feel as though I may actually be missing out on something. I think I'll wait for the DVD though. If I'm going to the theatre it's to see Book Of Eli. I really, really want to see it. That, and Leap Year. I'm itching to see that one too even though I'm sure I've got the whole movie figured out just from seeing the trailers. But I love Amy Adams and what's not to love about Ireland?

And yes, you really need to be more of a damsel in distress if you want to hook a cute foreign guy. ;)