Friday, January 09, 2009

2008 Year in Review

No, you haven't clicked on the wrong blog. I decided that with the new year I needed a new look for my blog, so I've changed it up. Now that I know how to change it, we'll see how long this look lasts, but it's fun for now. Sort of a "window" into my heart, if you will. :)

So, for the past few years (last year excluded), I've written a poem about the past year and some have seemed to enjoy it. I thought I would share this year's with you here.



The year in review
Is always a good time
It helps me reflect
And put it to rhyme

2008
Started off with a blast
Fireworks on the beach
If only it could last

Thailand ended up being
One of my favorite places on earth
I can honestly say
Every penny it was worth

I also loved spending time
With my sister and her fam
Into only 4 weeks
Many memories we did cram

In April I took a trip
Up to Sun Peaks with some friends
Then later completed my 2nd 10 k race
In Vancouver's west end

In May I heard Brennan Manning speak
It was an incredible treat
Also flew back to Camden
Old friends I did greet

It was 8 years since I'd been there
Most things were the same
Took 2 side trips to New York
Many pictures to frame

In July one friend had a baby
Another got married
Then I hopped on a plane
Much luggage I did carry

So many sites I did see
It was an incredible trip
First relaxing in Santorini
Then back to Athens to catch our ship

On a cruise for a week
Off to Egypt we went
Rode a camel, saw the pyramids
Lots of money was spent

Next we went to Israel
And saw where Jesus had tread
So many incredible images
Are forever implanted in my head

A few more stops, back to Athens
Then off to Turkey we flew
And here yet again
Much money I blew

It was totally worth it
Wouldn't change anything
Many wonderful memories were made
New souvenirs to home I did bring

In September I recovered
Pet sat the best dog in the world
Ideas of settling down
In my head started to swirl

"Then I could get my own dog
and have fun picking the name."
But it wasn't to be
On my truck I'll put the blame

Since my truck kept breaking down
It was time for something new
I purchased a Mini Cooper
In the white, not the blue

This means I'll keep house sitting
To save some more money
It's been over 4 years now
Isn't that funny?

For Thanksgiving I was with family
To Alberta I did go
I hadn't seen them in a year
It's crazy, I know

In Fall I needed a change
And got rid of the blonde
A brunette I became
With the flick of a wand

In early December I had the privilege
As Maid of Honour I stood
Then the whirlwind of Christmas
And everything good

It's a great time to reflect
On the real reason why
We celebrate Christmas
Don't let it pass you by

In this new year ahead
May you see Jesus in new ways
And draw nearer to Him
For this, I will pray

Happy new year to you all
New adventures you will find
Waiting around the corner
Of 2009

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new look. Always love your rhymes as well. You are a talented girl. Your last post was great as well. Lots of good things to ponder. I was listening to the sermon online about prayer from Northview. Good stuff.
Love you friend. Lea

Fiona said...

thanks lea. yeah, jeff had me in tears by the end of that sermon yet again. he's so great.

Anonymous said...

Terrific poem! You sure had an interesting and full year!

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!! Well done! If I give you a list of my year's highlights could you write me one as well? :) I could actually snag a few verses from this one. :)

Kori's House said...

Loved your poem.. every time I have read it :)

Also love the HOT red colour!!

May you be Blessed in 2009 with many new Adventures!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fion,
Finally I'm able to access your blog. Well done. Love the new look. Almost the exact color I have in my new home. Plus loved the year in review poem. You are very talented with the rhyming. You captured it all. I also really loved your entry on the silent retreat. I can't wait to hear more about it face to face, hopefully this summer. Seems like God has you on a heart transformation. Beautiful. I cheer you on. He is renovating you from the inside out. I love you sister. Your blog is great. THanks for sharing it all with us.