Wednesday, March 28, 2007

You know you're addicted to blogging when ...

Ok, let me set the scene before I finish that sentence.

I've been without a computer at my fingertips for blogging since the middle of December, so I've been going to the library (geek!) and using Jennie's computer (mooch!). Well, this past week, my friend Brenda went home for Spring Break so she lent me her laptop. Hallelujah! It's been great to be able to blog whenever I want. So, I was in the shower the other day and I had to shave my legs. Anyone else hate shaving their legs as much as I do? Well, it was taking forever. Why would it take forever, you ask? It should be just zip, zip, you're done. Well, I hate shaving so much, that for most of the winter, I don't shave at all ... maybe 2 or 3 times throughout the winter. Gross, right? But I never wear shorts during the winter and it only sucks on those rare occasions where all of a sudden you get invited to someone's place that has a hot tub. So, can you now understand why it was taking forever? Slow process. Anyways, so the scene's been set.

You know you're addicted to blogging, when you're in the shower shaving your legs and your first thought is, "This is taking too long! I only have the computer for a few more days and I have to utilize every moment of it catching up on my favorite blogs." Blogging is now cutting into my shower time.

Some of you may ask, "Why don't you get your own laptop?" And believe me, some of you HAVE asked, and this is my answer. I don't know if you remember or have read back to the beginning of my blog about why I started this blog, but it was because I was planning on going away for a year to travel the globe. Well, I postponed that trip, and in April I'm really going to start thinking about whether or not I'm going to go on that trip this December. If I do end up going, why would I buy a laptop and only use it for a few shorts months and then be gone for a year? By the time I get back, there will be new, improved models out and so I think I should wait until I get back, or until I decide whether I'm going or not. Does that make sense? Aaah, but some of you may say, "But if you buy it now, you could take it with you on your trip." True, but I don't want to. I'm already worried that someone's going to try to steal my camera which I can hide in my pocket, so I don't want to have to worry about a laptop, too. Plus, most of the places that I'm wanting to go, I'll most likely be staying with friends who have computers, so I won't need my own. AND, when I travelled through Indonesia, we were hiking in the back woods through some rice fields, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and all of a sudden we saw this little hut with the words INTERNET painted on a piece of wood, so you can pretty much have access to a computer anywhere.

Whenever someone new asks me why I don't buy my own laptop, my friends start laughing now because they've told me a million times to buy one and I go through my whole schpeel (spelling?) above and they just shake their heads at me. I thought they were just having fun and being silly, but when I said to Bren and Jennie the other day, "Ok, you guys like to laugh about this, but when it really comes down to it, you understand why I'm not buying one yet, right?" they said, "NO!!!" I was surprised and now here I am blogging about it to get my blogger land friends opinions. Should I buy one now despite knowing whether I'm going away or not? Help me decide!!!

That was a long post about something that's not really important in the grand scheme of life, so if you made it through reading all of that, thanks! :)

I took today off to make my move to my new house sitting place and clean the old one, so I best get my butt in gear!

P.S. Did you see that it's only 2 weeks until my sister comes? Yippeeeeee!

7 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

well all I know is this, I need my own computer. Up until last October when I started to blog . . it was fine and dandy for Terry and I to share one but now with him hunting online for fab new rod sites in the evening, I find myself wondering how long he'll be on. I dare not ask since I have access all day long and if I did ask it would only cement the fact that I am addicted.
I don't know Fiona, that is a tough one, if it was me I would say, go get one . . .how late are the stores open. Oh . . its all good . . ..its Thursday night. They are open till 9.

Anonymous said...

It seems you've really thought about it and considered every angle. If you do get one now you'll have 9 months to use it before you go away (which is ALOT of time to blog!) and it will still be waiting for you when you get back.

Rachel said...

I'd say, if you can find a great deal get one NOW!

Marni said...

It sounds like a math question. The time spent in the shower shaving legs is in direct proportion to the time you spend blogging. What is the square root?

If you are happy with the present arrangement and you can make it work for you, why not wait until you come back? Think of it this way. You get to visit friends while using their computer!!!

Jennie said...

I do like Marni's point about visiting friends, because since you have had Bren's computer, I haven't seen you much around here...but...still...you could bring your laptop to my house and we could blog together!!??!

I accidentally just pressed the little handicap symbol down below and my computer is talking to gibberish to me...scary

Kori's House said...

I didn't know there was another female out there that hated shaving and shaves as little as I do :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Fiona, you know I will echo those who have already said, go for it, go ahead and get a laptop. I don't think you will be sorry, it is nice to have your own computer. I was not going to comment, but since you might be taking a tally, I thought I would voice my opinion! Go for it!!