Thursday, February 19, 2009

Christmas in February!

Ok, it's not really Christmas in February. I'm still finishing my recap. In mid-December we had one of our first snowfalls. Everyone told me that since my car is front wheel drive, it will be totally fine in the snow. I didn't worry when it started snowing because I believed everyone. Remember, I used to have a 4 x 4, so I'd gotten used to being able to go where I want, when I want in the snow. Let's just say that the place I'm house sitting at now is atop a very steep hill and after my 3rd attempt, I had to abandon my new little car at the bottom and walk up ... in the blizzard that it was. This is how it looked the next morning when I walked down to it. I did have to shovel it out as the snow plow had blocked me in, but it wasn't too bad.

The other 2 pictures above were taken on Christmas Eve morning. I went out and shoveled very early in the morning before work and an hour later you couldn't even tell I'd shoveled. Needless to say, I was a little nervous about my flight that was supposed to fly out that afternoon. We got sent home from work at 9:30 because there were only a few people in the office so I went and sat at the airport hoping to maybe catch an earlier flight. Pretty much all flights were cancelled.

Lucky for me one of my best friends lives just down the street from the airport and they welcomed me into their home to spend Christmas Eve with them (collage below) and she even got up at 5:00 am to drive me back to the airport in the morning. Thanks Rachel!

My flight was supposed to leave at 6:30 am, however, we didn't board the plane until 9:45ish and after de-icing, we hit the runway and got up in the air at about 11:00.

FINALLY descending into Calgary!!!

I was so happy to get to spend time with my wonderful family. Parents, one sister, one bro-in-law, a niece and a nephew and even a crazy cousin that they let out of the loony bin for the day (just kidding, kind of). We played Chicken's Feet, napped, ate wonderful meals prepared by my wonderful mother and just generally had a great time.

The 3rd last picture is of the quilt I made my sister for Christmas. I was also making 2 baby quilts for friends. These are the reasons I didn't blog much in October and November. I couldn't tell you about them as they were supposed to be a surprise.
As you can see I got quite a few books for Christmas. I've already finished one of them and the others will come in handy starting next week. I'll tell you why ... soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that you got Twilight and New Moon. Did you like them? I myself am a HUGE fan and have read the series twice already.

Fiona said...

hey sonya. no, i haven't read them yet. i'm scared to start them because i only have the first two and i've heard they're so good you'll want to read all 4 right in a row. i think i'm going to wait until i have all 4 to start them. i have a few others to keep me going for now. ;)

Kori's House said...

EEK! I don't think I would like sitting on a delayed flight with a yellow man and a fire hose out my window!!!
LOVE the pictures of the snowed in city :)
What a great friend you have!
It looks like you had a great Christmas with your family!

Anonymous said...

I echo those thoughts of Kori...It looks like you had a great Christmas with your family. I'd love to have been there. Glad you arrived safe and sound. You sure do look hot with your dark hair and you look fab in your hats. Very cool. I can't wait for a ride in your car. You gotta know that I am hopeful for a 'limited edition Fiona' quilt one year coming my way...:) love you sis, Jodi. Oh Keep the pictures coming. I love seeing them all. Helps me to enter into your life and the life of our family. Thanks for keeping me updated.