Saturday, February 07, 2009

This one's for you, Kori

I've had a request to review a few lighter hearted movies, so here goes. Last weekend I went and saw New In Town with Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr.

Renee plays a high powered executive woman who's company sends her to Minnesota to run a plant that needs some restructuring. She's the one sent because she's single. Hmmm, understandable, but touches a bit of a nerve with me.

Anyways, she's used to her city life so living in rural Minnesota has it's challenges for her. There to help her ... well, not at first ... is Harry Connick Jr. At first they are at each others throats of course, but eventually, over time, there's a minor crisis that has them acting as friends and so on and so on. If I'm ruining the movie for you ... you didn't see the previews. Don't you hate when a preview pretty much shows you the whole movie? Leave something to suspense!

Well, the movie definitely had it's funny and cute parts, but I didn't think Renee was very good. She was supposed to be this high powered executive but at first I thought she was playing the role of a Barbie. It was really weird. Once she started to loosen up and enjoy rural life, it got a bit better. Harry Connick Jr was ... well ... Harry Connick Jr. Very cute. :) There was a part where I believe Rachel (one of my longtime movie going companions) was wiping her eyes she was laughing so hard. The movie is fluff and predictable, but if you're looking for just a fun night out where you can escape to somewhere fun and not think much, this would be a good movie for that. I obviously needed a night like that last weekend and it's always fun to hang out with Rach, so I'm glad I went.

This weekend I went with Mark, Rachel and Karen to see He's Just Not That Into You.



Where ... do ... I ... start? Yes, it was pretty much a "fluff" movie again and I went to see it as a gentle reminder of how people (notice I didn't say "guys" because I know it can go both ways) can treat each other in not so nice a manner when in relationships. There were definitely some very funny parts and we laughed a lot, but let's just say when I got into the car, I let out a loud, frustrated scream. Yes, I did. The movie starts off by being very honest (mostly from the guy's point) about how a girl needs to get it into her head that if a guy really likes you, he'll call. He'll do something to make the relationship happen. Parts of it were embarrassing to watch because we girls can get sooooo analytical and yes, I've been there. I remember the days when I used to come home after being out and thinking, "Why did he say this?" or "What do you think he meant by that?" And you know what? That's how God made the female species so I don't believe that will ever fully go away, however, we as females do egg each other on when we ask our friends, "Do you think he likes me?" and we ALWAYS answer either, "Of course! I'm sure he's just busy this weekend ... and the weekend before," or "He's just intimidated by you," or my personal favorite, "You're too good for him anyways."

What if he's just simply "Not Into You?" Does that make him a bad guy? No. Not every guy is going to be your next potential husband. So, that part of the movie I liked. It was honest and gave us girls a real head shake.

Then it took a turn. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here and I know it had to have a Hollywood ending (again, not trying to ruin it for anyone), but it so fed into that "this is a chick flick - we must give them a dangling of hope" ending. I won't tell you anything specific about the ending, but let's just say that those who ended up together were blissfully happy and those who didn't, were either looked at as the a*#hole or the depressed.

Do I sound like I need counselling? Seriously? Well, if you answered yes to that question, it's a good thing I had my counselling appointment already booked for today. :) I've been meaning to talk about this for awhile but haven't gotten around to. Back in November I started seeing a counsellor. When I tell people that, the first thing they say is, "Why do you need to see a counsellor?" That always makes me laugh and my answer always is, "Why not? It can't hurt." I guess I should be flattered that people have to ask that question and aren't like, "Oh, that's good. I've been thinking you should be seeing a counsellor for a long time," but there's nothing embarrassing about going to a counsellor. I'm just trying to better myself. My counsellor has said that the best time to go to a counsellor is when you're not at your wits end and thinking "I have to figure this out or I'll die." You know what I mean?

The first time I went to see her I really didn't even know what I was going to talk to her about but we just started chatting and it's amazing how you can pour your heart out to a stranger if you feel comfortable with her. After a few sessions she told me that she thinks I'm a very well balanced person. That was good to hear ... but I want to keep it that way ... so I'm going to keep going.

Sorry, Kori. It started off being light hearted. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the movie reviews Fiona! I've seen previews for both of these movies and had no desire to see either of them. Maybe I'll rent them when they come out on DVD.

There is no shame in going to a counsellor. I think it's a sign of a healthy person seeking to stay that way. :)

Rachel said...

It must be nice to let it all hang out to an anonymous third person. Very theraputic! Can I come too :) LOL!

Keri's Collage... said...

I love your movie reviews Fiona!

PS...my word verification (and I'm not even kidding) is:
"bowlacrapp"

Fiona said...

Thanks Sonya. I don't think there's anything embarrassing about it either, but it's always funny to me the way people react when I tell them ... almost like I should be embarrassed.

Rachel, yes, it's very theraputic. I highly recommend it. :)

That's hilarious, Keri. Yes, sometimes things are a bowlacrapp. ha ha

Anonymous said...

Great post!! I think it is great the whole counselling thing. Great to get your stuff out there without an unbiased opinion. You rock my friend.
Okay my question is how did Mark make the equation of going to that movie with you guys. That must have been funny. Hee hee
Lea

Kori's House said...

Thanks for the fluffy reviews :)

I have ventured out to see movies that I normally would not see and I have to admit that I am starting to like movies that aren't all 'fluff'. I do plan to see a chick flick with my sisters for Kristins birthday though :)

We get free councelling through work but have never thought to make that call although I'm pretty sure it could do me some good. Good on ya for taking that step!