Saturday, February 21, 2009

February ... most of it

To kick off February, Karen asked me to go to her school for a fundraising basketball game - the Mouat Hawks (and a few other local players) vs. the BC Lions. One of the Hawks was diagnosed with leukemia and one of his team mates is closely connected to the BC Lions, so they put on this fundraiser. I always forget how much I love the game of basketball until I'm inside that gym and hear those shoes squeaking and see that ball being fired at that basket. It was a lot of fun and had a very touching half time speech from Jeff (the boy with leukemia). Here are a few pics (I forgot my camera - what kind of blogger am I? - so the pics I took during the game were really bad with my cell phone because I couldn't zoom in). The Lions names that I can remember are: Geroy Simon, Ryan Phillips and Paris Jackson.

The highlight of the night, for me, had to be reuniting with my 2 high school basketball coaches. I made a hard decision in Grade 10 and left MEI and went to Mouat. If I had stayed at MEI, I would've played with great players, but little did I know that going to Mouat I would be coached by 2 of the best coaches in BC ... ok, maybe Canada! Allison McNeil was my coach in Grade 10. We had no Jr. team so I had to play on the Sr. Girls team that year. We weren't so good, but we had fun. She's now the Head Coach for the National Women's Team. For Grade 11 and 12, my coach was Pat Lee. In Grade 11 we had 2 players, so Mr. Lee sent us out in the halls scouring for girls to join our team. We did eventually get enough players, but they were fresh. Most didn't know much about basketball or the rules, so it was an interesting year, but we made it through. I think we won 1 game. Grade 12 was a little better. Mr. Lee has coached all over the Fraser Valley and has a great reputation. He's an excellent coach. Anyone who's had him as a coach is extremely lucky.

Last weekend I went to see Linda and Drew's new arrival, Joseph. He was their beautiful Christmas gift, born on Christmas Day at 4:00 am ... and she was home by 4:00 pm! Crazy, hey? At first, my excuse for not having seen him was all the snow. I couldn't tell her that the real excuse was because I hadn't finished his quilt yet. I finally got it done and off I went to meet this fine fellow.

Isn't he adorable? I was so proud that he smiled so much for me and now Linda tells me that he smiles at their teddy bears all the time. Hmmm. Thanks, buddy. :)
Joseph is a little brother for the beautiful Sophie and cute, little Adam.

Look what I did! Yes, that's me holding him, swaying away until ...

Awwww, so cute! :)

Next up was a mini Borne reunion. My parents have come to town for almost a month so my cousins decided to have whoever could make it out to their place for supper. I was so hungry that I completely forgot to pull out my camera until the food was all gone and my Grandma and parents had left. Oh wait, there's my Dad in one pic, so maybe I just didn't get good shots of everyone. Sorry about that. It was lots of fun and how better to end a night then by playing Dutch Blitz! Thanks, Rosie (and Gord, of course) for having us over. I can't wait until Bornefest this summer.

My Mom promised me that while they were out here she would make me my favorite meal ... roast beef. She did not disappoint. I forgot my camera so I took this pic with my cell phone. The meal looked MUCH more appetizing than this picture shows (and I got 3 sandwiches out of the leftovers! YUM!). Thanks, Mom. You're the best.
I took this picture because it made me laugh how interested my Dad was in my T4 slip. I heard about how when he started working he made $1.25 an hour and they paid $50 in rent a month ... or was it $25? I can't remember ... all I know is thank the Lord times have changed. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha...that picture of your dad studying your T-4 is so funny.

Did you meet Geroy at that game? Did he tell you that Gary is his best friend? LOL

Fiona said...

why yes, he did mention that, sonya. he said, "make sure you say hi to gary for me!" ;) geroy was a little harder to get to than ryan phillips, so i had my pic taken with him instead ... not that i minded. hee hee

Anonymous said...

So glad you have this time with your folks. Especially glad you got a roast beef dinner out of it. Have fun on your trip.
Lea

Keri's Collage... said...

So many exciting times packed into one post! I know how you feel about basketball! I have never played, but watching my girls play has been very fun for me! I hope they make it all the way to high school ball where the real fun is!
And what beautiful baby! He's a real cutie and so are his siblings!

Keri's Collage... said...

Oh yes...I can forget to mention how beautiful the quilt is! Awesome fabric choices! You did a great job!