Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Adventures of Wendy Walker

As we were sitting on my deck watching Denae enjoy the kiddie pool (see previous post), Colleen asked us, "Does anyone remember Wendy Walker?" Wendy Walker? Of course we remember her. "Well," Colleen says, "the other day I was at my parents place and my Mom gives me this doll and tells me to take it FAR away from her house. This doll has a Billy Rae Cyrus haircut and it's all matted and she looks awful. Well, Denae saw it and loves it. She drags that thing everywhere, but Shane (Colleen's husband) HATES it and wants me to get rid of it. The thing is life size so if Denae leaves it outside on the lawn, Shane comes home and sees this thing laying face down and for a split second thinks it's Denae." We all started howling at this point because we can just imagine how it would look real. So even though Colleen feels bad for Denae, she's decided to get rid of it. After a few more stories, I said, "Oh man. That's too funny. I'm going to find a picture of Wendy Walker on the internet and blog about this." To which Colleen said, "Oh, it's in the back of my van right now if you want to get it." Did I want to get it? What do you think I did?


Look who came to visit? Hello Wendy!


Of course we had to recreate the infamous face down in the lawn scene.

Then we figured Wendy was a little embarrassed (or maybe she was planning her revenge) so she wanted some alone time.

We had been talking previously about people we knew who'd gotten their heads stuck in stair railings, so guess who got to try it? Yup, WENDY!

Then we decided to be nice and let her suntan with us. Ok, really ??? Our stomachs were so sore from laughing so hard that we just had to take a break. :)

The whole time we were dragging Wendy around and laughing, Denae was just looking at us like, "What the heck, people?" Colleen said when she took Denae inside to change, Denae looked at her and said, "My doll funny."

Aaaahh, good, crazy times. Yes, I'm a little weird, but man, was it funny. Maybe you had to be there. Anyways, here's Denae for one of the last times with Wendy Walker. Mommy put her back in the plastic bag head down in the back of the van and now she's on her way to MCC. Bren suggested trying to sell her for a pretty penny ... any takers?
I almost heard that Sarah McLachlan song playing from Toy Story when her doll gets taken away ... almost.

9 comments:

Nancy Skeels said...

Oh, that poor little Wendy! Hopefully she'll be adopted by some other loving family. Did you have a Wendy doll when you were little? Your pictures were hilarious!

Jennie said...

I am crying from laughing so hard...why it's so funny, I don't know...but it's just as funny today reading it as it was experiencing it! Thanks Wendy!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! I had that same doll when I was a little girl. I kept her for my girls and they ended up destroying her in record time.

Your story and pictures are hilarious! I don't think you're weird at all. For heaven's sake...our family had an ongoing game of hide and seek with a naked cabbage patch doll!! :)

Kori's House said...

That is sooo funny!!!

My Wendy Walker doll is still at my mom & Dad's place. Perhaps I will have to go take some pictures of her, although I think you covered pretty much 'a day in the life'... :)

villagegirl said...

That is just stinking hilarious! My sister had one and I coloured (with permanent ink!!) on her forhead. I think she's finally forgiven my now. :)
Thanks that was a great post. HEEEE!

Anonymous said...

OK.... so I'm catching up on your blog (I've been a little distracted by Facebook) and this post made me laugh so hard!!! I'm sorry I missed it. My sides are hurting!

Anonymous said...

Hey Fion,
I'm finally making a comment ON your blog, rather than just to YOUR email - but we'll see if it really works -
Ok - so I got another good laugh in about Wendy - I actually ended up bringing her back to my parents when they weren't home and ditching her in the back cranny's of their attic. I didn't even have the nerve to bring her to MCC - it would be too embarressing to show up with just a big ugly doll!! So - one day she might come out of the "woodwork" again! If anyone wants to adopt her - just let me know!!

Anonymous said...

omg! thats too funny! my wendy still sleeps in a box in my spare room. A couple of years ago i decided to carefully remove the remnants of the terrible seventies makeup that I had covered her in lol nice to see others remember wendy :D

Anonymous said...

hi, i have been searching for a wendy walker as soon as i heard of michael jackson passing. i am now 34 years old and also had a wendy walker doll, which was the wrong color that was thrown out by my uncle. how can i get her back for sale od course, she wore white top with green pants and white shoes.
ewarton2000@yahoo.com