Monday, June 25, 2007

Alberta Trip - Part 4

Ok, just to warn you, I looked through my pics again and there might be more than 1 or 2 more posts. I just can't leave any out, but I'll try to post them all soon. :)
I have to dedicate this post to my Mom. She is so cute. She had no idea that I took these pictures, but she'll soon find out. Hi Mom! :) My Mom should never, I repeat, NEVER, have chapped lips. She must have stock in chapstick that I don't know about. It's everywhere in her house. Shall we take a tour?
Top left: beside the computer
Top right: on the kitchen table (there's 2, maybe 3 in there)
Bottom left: in the cutlery drawer
Bottom right: on the kitchen counter (2 there)
Top left: in the junk drawer by the phone (notice she put this one - all white - in with the glue sticks - this could prove disastrous)
Top right: bathroom sink (2 again)
Bottom left: bedroom dresser
Bottom right: en suite bathroom
Top left: bathroom medicine cabinet (because the 2 on the ledge in the above picture weren't enough)
Top right: en suite bathroom drawer (2 again)
Bottom left: bedside table
Bottom right: living room side table
That concludes our tour ... of the FIRST FLOOR!!! I didn't even start taking pictures of the basement or the garage or the car. Don't get me wrong, I'm just teasing her. She's so funny. Each grandkid got their own chapstick when they came because coming from Malaysia where it's incredibly humid, their whole bodies were dry all the time. Leave it to Grandma to have an extra (or 2 or 3 hundred) chapsticks laying around. haha
My Mom is also very good at recycling. Dare I say she's the QUEEN of recycling. No, not just pop cans and newspapers. EVERYTHING! If you bought deli meat at the grocery store, well, the little bag the meat came in can be washed and reused after the meat's all gone. She's got little bags hanging everywhere in her kitchen drying. Also, if you use a napkin at lunch but don't REALLY use it, you'll find this ...

Your name on it so that you can use it again next time.

Along with being the Queen of Recycling means that you must buy recycled clothes as well. Well, my Mom's got that one down pat as well. Don't get me wrong. She dresses very well and 9 out of 10 times you'd NEVER know it was from a Thrift Store. I think every clerk at every Thrift Store must know my Mom's name. She took my sister and I there and my sister found some GREAT clothes for my nieces and nephew. But just to be silly, we asked them to try these outfits on as well.

Needless to say, we had a good laugh. Side story: at the Thrift Store we found the movie So I Married An Axe Murderer and a few episodes of the first season of Bewitched. My nieces and I watched these downstairs and when I crawled onto the pull out bed between them, Sydney said to me, "You're more like a big sister than an Aunt," to which Ashtyn added, "Yeah, but a much, MUCH bigger sister." Aaaaah, kids. :)

Anyways, I would like to conclude this post with something that's not teasing my Mom (although all the stuff above is in good fun and it's what makes my Mom, my Mom, so I love all those things about her). While I was at my parents place, my Mom made some of my sister's and my favourite meals.

A good Mennonite favourite is Borscht. Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm. (side note: I purposely put that piece of bread IN the soup for my friends who can't stand soggy bread ... haha) Although Borscht is great, my favourite meal is ...

ROAST BEEF AND POTATOES (oh yeah, and some vegetables, too, if you want)!!! My Mom's roast beef is so tender that it almost melts in your mouth. Mmmmmm, I can almost smell it now. I jokingly said to her, "Is this buffalo meat?" and she said, "Actually, some of it IS buffalo, but most of it's beef." But you know what? I didn't care. It all tasted the same to me and I LOVED it all. (side note: my friends Lori and Rachel T. have made roast beef for me because they know it's my favourite meal and I love them for it. They are wonderful friends and they come in at a CLOSE second to my Mom's.)

One of my sister's favourite desserts is the chocolate pudding my Mom makes. My favourite dessert (other than Paska) is cheesecake and my Mom made it for me one night, but I was so happy that I gobbled it up and forgot to take a picture.

Thanks Mom for being so cute and taking my teasing with a grain of salt. Love you!

4 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh and I've been hungry for borscht too. yummy. Oh and the cheesecake pictured at the top. Oh yummy. big sigh.

Kori's House said...

That made me chuckle. I cleaned out my car yesterday and found 3 chapsticks! I also feel like I have won the lottery when I put on a winter coat after not wearing it and discover chapstick in the pocket!

I think that is so sweet that your mom made you girls your favorite meals AND dessert!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Fiona - you are such a SNEAKY little so and so!!! That digital camera is just TOO handy - the pictures with the old cameras likely would have been blurred. I laughed SO hard when I saw what you had posted (I know thats another thing you just LOVE about me - laughing till I cry) I am really enjoying our time together through your blog - looking forward to see what you'll post next. I'm so glad you could be with us when the kids were still so excited to be "home". I truly enjoyed baking and cooking the things you all like - that's what you call "comfort food". Tomorrow I'm going to bake more Paska and the cupcakes and muffins that Syd and Ash like so much. I'm surprised that I didn't see a picture of your favorite - cheesecake. (I can't take credit for the one in the picture in the restaurant). I'm happy my little "quirks" amuse you, hopefully they don't annoy you. You know I am very much like Grandma and I think you are very much like me - just wait, someday you will 'save' a napkin! Remember you are not only saving a napkin - you are saving a tree!!

Keep it up - I love you lots, Mom
PS this is my second try, I don't know why the first one didn't post.

Nancy Skeels said...

Ok, I love it! Do you know, my parents used to reuse their tooth floss at one point - that went a little over the gross meter... I love that your mom wrote your name on your napkin! Waste not, want not. Too funny!