Friday, June 22, 2007

Alberta trip - Part 2

One of the days I was there, we went to Spruce Meadows, which houses all things equestrian. It was a beautiful day and we say a lot of beautiful horses.




When we first got there, we watched a few different races. Ashtyn says to me, "Does it hurt the horses to make them race like that?" I said, "No, but it makes them work hard." She thought about that and then she said, "If it's making the horses work, why do we do it? Why don't we just enjoy their beauty?" Good question, Ash. Didn't I mention that she is a lover of all animals? :)



Beautiful lilac bush. I guess you can tell from the squinting that it was a bit sunny.

This is Ashtyn's foot beside mine. Poor girl. Only 11 years old and she already has size 10 feet. Good luck finding little girl shoes.

They brought out 3 mares with their foals and there was a "Name the Foal" contest. Sydney and I have both entered. Keep your fingers crossed!

Before the jumping started, they let the riders walk around and check out all the jumps and then they opened it up to spectators to go on the course as well. Ashtyn and I stayed in the stands, but this is Sydney in front of the closest jump to us.

And here's someone jumping over that very jump.

It really is very beautiful.

Here's Ian Miller practising on his horse. We left to go eat for awhile and we missed him jumping by seconds ... literally. When I ran in, I saw him crossing the finish line.

But all in all it was a GREAT day! Thanks Mom and Dad for taking us there.

2 comments:

villagegirl said...

Looks like a very fun day! I have a love of horses and would have enjoyed seeing something like that. Very cool!

Fiona said...

Hey villagegirl - I think horses are God's most beautiful creature ... I have a love for them, too. :)