Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Are you afraid???

Tonight I was sitting at my computer dutifully catching up on my blog reading, when I heard a noise that I thought to be an airplane flying overhead. At first I didn't think anything of it, but then it kept going and going and going, with about 10 seconds in between each low rumble. It finally dawned on me that it was thunder! Yippee! I opened my blinds and sure enough, the sky was quite dark and the thunder was just a rollin'.

Just a few weeks ago I was talking to some friends of mine about thunder storms in the prairies and how they kick butt on thunder storms in BC. When I used to live in Manitoba, I remember going into our screened in porch with my Dad and watching the storms. The lightening and thunder were spectacular and I wasn't scared at all. My dog was another story. We couldn't find him for hours afterwards because he went and hid so far under the house or under a bed and did not want to come out. This summer I was at my sister's place in Alberta and I chased after a storm on the ATV ... ok, the storm was miles away, but I got some great pics of the lightening. It's fun to watch storms if you know you're in a safe place. I went and stood on my front porch tonight and took this picture, but I have to admit that when I could feel the thunder shaking me, it was a tad bit frightening.

Then came the rain ...

And then came the hail. This is what my back patio looked like afterwards.

And then about 15 minutes later it was all over.


So I ask you ... are you afraid of thunder storms??? I want to hear your stories.

7 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

Yes, but only at night! I am a fraidy-cat! I really don't mind them during the day! weird!

Lovella ♥ said...

When I was quite little I hid under the bed once and prayed for God to save me. . . smile.

Now though, I love them. I always envy the provinces that have real storms. When I saw this one a commin', I ran out with my camera . . .how fun.

Anonymous said...

I totally missed that thunder storm. I was in Chilliwack, and I don't remember a storm there, I am jealous! I LOVE thunder storms. That is one thing I miss about the prairies-- summer thunderstorms are my favorite!

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid I was terrified of thunder storms. It could have had something to do with my uncle getting struck by lightning, though.

Now I love thunder storms...which is a good thing cuz we get some real good ones here in the 'Loops! In fact, we were supposed to have one yesterday and I was quite disappointed that it never materialized.

Rachel said...

Hey....yup, a definitely scaredy-cat here. When I was a child a thunder storm would send to straight to my mom or dad's side. If I was outside playing and I heard some thunder I made a beeline for home. My friend once told me that if you see moving clouds in the sky it was going to thunder. Very mean! Everytime I saw cloud rolling on by I'd run home!
I am happy to report that I am now officially over my thunder fears...I think. I don't mind them if I am not alone. Actually most really loud noises frighten me quite a bit! I am high strung. I know this.

onedayatatime said...

I LOVE thunderstorms! When I was at YWAM in Texas, we had the BEST thunderstorms (ask Sonya, she witnessed one while visiting). We'd have at least one thunderstorm a week, and because it was Texas, it was always a warm rain, so I'd go out in my shorts and enjoy the thunderstorms :)

Kori's House said...

I love em! I wish we got more.

Last night my poor daughter was at her baseball game while the rest of us were at the church. I was not liking the storm until I knew she was safely back at the church.