Saturday, May 19, 2007

Week in Review - Tuesday

Tuesday night was girls night out. Back in February it was Monica's birthday and Rachel, Bren and I bought her a ticket along with ourselves to go see Jann Arden.

We didn't have a lot of time before the concert, so we didn't want to search the city for a place to eat, so we ate at Jimmy's right next to The Center where Jann was playing (yes, we're on a first name basis). It was a little loud in there, but it was really good food. It was $3 off appetizer night, so of course being the good Mennonites that we are (wait, only 2 of us are Menno, but the other 2 are Dutch ...). Anyways, we had Spinach and Artichoke Dip, Dry Ribs and Nachos (which I forgot to take a picture of - I'm knew at taking pics of my food, alright) and they were all very good.

We were a tad bit late for the opening act and when we went inside to check out our seats, they were directly in the middle of the row that was full of people on either side, so we decided to wait outside until he was finished. This presented us with a great photo op and before you ask, yes, the dress code WAS black for the concert. :)

She started the concert by saying, "Thank you all for coming. We have 7 hours of music prepared for you, so let's get started. Sit back and let me take you on a journey. A journey through my pathetic existence which in the end should make you feel better about your lives." I had heard she was funny, but every story she told had just enough sarcasm and tone that made it a little better than just any old story.





Like I said, she was so funny. She told us that she didn't know what they'd told us when we came in, but to feel free to take as many pictures as we wanted and to feel free to video it and put it up on YouTube. She said, "By all means, get the word out." Being the camera freak that I am .. I love that!


The best story she told had one of us crying, one of us could barely breathe and I'm sure all of our cheeks hurt from laughing so hard. Warning: if there are any guys reading this post, there will be words like: period and pad coming up. If you keep reading and are uncomfortable, you can't say you weren't warned.

Jann told a story about when she was 16 years old. Her and two of her friends decided to go to the school dance. She doesn't know why they went because there were only 42 people in her school, so nothing exciting ever happened at these dances, but they were going to go anyways. They pulled out their faux denim skirts that they made in home ec. and were proceeding out the door when their friend, Cathy, decided to tell them that she'd gotten her period. She'd only had it a couple of times, so she wasn't very good at "it" yet. Lucky for her, the old style of the belt was out because the adhesive strip had just been invented. Although the adhesive strip was very exciting, we now know that nothing beats the wings for keeping the pad in place. Jann went on to describe how big and bulky that pad could be and how after about an hour, it started riding up the back of your underwear (remember that, ladies?). She even went so far as to demonstrate how you could bend your knees, split your legs apart a little and shove the pad back in place from the back. She said sometimes she would even shove it a little extra farther, just to give herself a little leeway. By now the place is in an uproar because we can unfortunately remember exactly what she's talking about.

She said they went to the dance and of course were standing off to the side of the dance floor drinking the punch and all of a sudden they see the Captain of the football team walking towards them. Jann's words, "He couldn't be walking towards us, could he? I think he is! Who does he ask to dance? Period Cathy!" Here's where I started videoing:


Is that not hilarious? Oh man, my cheeks still hurt just thinking about it.

Jann lost a bunch of weight not too long ago and she looks GREAT! She was wearing the tightest jeans I've seen and she looked fantastic in them. Way to go, Jann!

During her first encore, she came out and one of her backup singers sang while she started painting a picture. She said it would be up for auction in the foyer after the concert and the money would go to World Vision and she asked everyone to consider sponsoring a child.


I could tell you a few more stories from the night because so many fun things happened, but I have to end the post sometime.

Thanks for a great night out, Jann. It was SUPER fun! (listen to me talk like she's going to read my blog - hee hee)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the torture! Due to my incredibly slow dial-up internet, I will never find out the end of Jann's story!! Ack!!

Fiona said...

Hey Sonya. I think I downloaded it wrong. Try it again and let me know if it worked this time.

Kori's House said...

She is soooo funny!
Years ago we were in Whistler and she was performing at a very small outdoor concert half way up the lift. I had no idea who she was and how funny she was at the time or we would have been there!!
bummer!!

looks like a great time. I think I will email her your link. I bet she would enjoy the read :)

Rachel said...

I would love to see Jann in concert sometime. Have you read her books as well?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the funny story. I actually enjoyed reading it more than watching the ending. I have to get caught up on your blog. I haven't visited in awhile *shame on me*. But you always have good pics. Oh and those puppies.. Okay if I didn't have babies I'd have to take at least 2 of them home with me. Tell Keldy that if she'd like to look after twins for a day I'll look after the puppies. I wonder which is more work? Just joking. The girls are doing good and growing lots and walking all over the place. Well... this isn't my blog so I'll shut up now.. hee hee